Tuesday, 19 February 2008

The Tate

This past weekend we went to the Tate Modern Museum of Art. I have never been to a modern museum, so I enjoyed this very much. In many ways the art is so different. They stylistic elements, the colors, even the subject topics vary from art that you find in the Ashmolean or National Gallery. It was amazing to see paintings by Henri Mattise, Mark Rothko, and Pablo Picasso. I enjoyed looking at the cubism style. One piece that I particularly liked was a woman sketch of Picasso. The sketch was black and white. He depicted the woman in a manner that he saw her. She was beautiful, but not in a realistic way. She looked intelligent by the way he showed her sitting upright in her chair with her hands crossed gently on her knees. This picture is obviously not an exact replica of what the young woman looked like, but it was Picasso's way of seeing her through a different scope. It seems to me that through modern art, an artist has more of an opportunity to show his or her emotions and the picture that crosses through their brain onto the paper or medium they are using. The art is what it is. I feel as if there is more emotion in many of the pieces in modern art because the artists leave the pieces open for interpretation. It is in many ways more vulnerable. 

No comments: